This is my moms special recipe for making Swedish Limpa.
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/3 cups dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 2 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons anise seed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups cold water
- 3 tablespoons yeast
- 4 cups rye flour (medium)
- 5-6 cups all-purpose flour
- Combine first six ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil; boil for approximately 5 minutes.
- Let cool some, then add the salt and cold water.
- Test the temperature, then add the yeast.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the rye flour and as much white flour as needed to make a soft dough.
- Knead well.
- The bread dough will be sticky.
- Let rise until double.
- Shape into 4 loaves (Traditionally in round loaves, but loaf pans work also) and let rise again until double.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes.
- Note: This is an authentic Swedish limpa baked in the old world tradition with brown sugar and molasses. Limpa bread has a dense texture and a sweet flavor with a hint of anise and orange.
Leave a Reply