If you are in the market for a good constituent Open Source CRM, I recommend CiviCRM. In this blog post I will explain how to install CiviCRM for WordPress. Here are the steps that I followed to install CiviCRM for WordPress.
- Download wordpress and install it on your server
Download CiviCRM for WordPress
Unzip the downloaded civicrm-4.5.2-wordpress zip file
- Locate folder that was created after unzipping –civicrm-4.5.2-wordpress – creates a folder named civicrm
- Locate the folder that you installed WordPress
Move your CiviCRM folder that was created when you unzipped to wp-content -> plugins – that creates the civicrm folder
- Login to your WordPress admin area, select plugins, you should be able to see the CiviCRM plugin – next activate the CiviCRM plugin by selecting Activate
- When you have activated the CiviCRM plugin, goto Settings -> CiviCRM Installer
- You will probably get an error shown the first time, fill in your database settings, you can either create a new database separate from your wordpress database or you can run wordpress and civicrm on the same database. You also need to create a folder for files – see below
- When all your settings are ok, you will get green light, at this point select install
- If everything went well you will get a message that tells you that CiviCRM is installed correctly, after that select settings. You will notice that the CiviCRM Installer is gone from settings and a new menu items appears for CiviCRM To start CiviCRM click the CiviCRM link on the menu.
12. You are now ready to start configuring CiviCRM – more on that later in another article.