Hovmästarsås is my favorite accompaniment to gravlax and other fish and seafood. And it is very easy to make.
Makes about 3/4 cup
- Dijon mustard — 1/4 cup
- White or red wine vinegar — 1 tablespoon
- Sugar — 1 tablespoon
- Salt and pepper — a pinch of each
- Vegetable oil — 1/2 cup
- Fresh dill, chopped — 2-3 tablespoons
- Mix the mustard, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper together well in a medium-sized bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil.
- Stir in the chopped dill, adjust seasoning and serve chilled.
Try using other types of mustard, but avoid bright yellow mustards. Swedish-style mustard is mild and sweet. Adjust the amount of vinegar and sugar as needed.