More and more people are starting making their own bread, today I will provide you with a recipe for a Swedish style bread, back in Sweden we call it knäckebröd. If you have ever visit IKEA, you might have tried or seen a knäckebröd it is a crispy flatbread and goes well with soups and cheeses. My favorite sandwich with knäckebröd , is a slice of bologna sausage and cheese.
- 1 1/3 cups rye flour, whole wheat is fine
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in mixing bowl or food processor and cut or pulse in butter.
- Gradually add the milk with a spoon or pulse until you have a stiff dough.
- On a lightly floured board roll out as thin as you can.
- Cut dough into strips about 2″x3″ and punch lots of small holes in each.
- Bake at 300 on lightly greased pan until lightly browned- about 10 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack then store at room temperature.
- Will keep 5-7 days.
Another Crisp bread recipe that I recommend.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yeast (or 1 package dry yeast)
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fennel, crushed or anise seed
- 3 1/2 cups coarse rye flour
- 1 1/2-2 cups wheat flour
- Dissolve yeast in the water (if using dry yeast, follow instructions).
- Add salt and fennel/aniseed.
- Add rye and enough wheat flour to make a quite firm dough.
- Knead vigorously for at least five minutes.
- Divide into 16 parts and roll to balls.
- Let rise, covered, for 40 minutes.
- Heat the oven to maximum heat.
- Roll out one piece at a time to a thin circle, 8-10 inches in diameter.
- Use plenty of rye flour when rolling.
- Make a one-inch hole in the middle.
- Prick the surface all over with a fork (in Sweden we have special rolling pins for this purpose).
- Bake one at a time on a dry tray in the oven for about 2-4 minutes.
- They should get brown, but not too burnt.
- Slip them on a stick (e. g. a broom) through the hole in the middle to cool.
- Store in a dry place and eat with butter, cheese and/or pickled herring, maybe together with beer and aquavit.